20 Vegetarian Sandwiches To Fix Every Awful Lunchtime Mood
Let's face it - some days by lunchtime, we're about ready to go back to bed. Need a bit of oomph? Try chomping into one of these sprightly sandwiches to get you through the day. Or at least through the next few hours. By 4 p.m. nothing can save you but cute kitten videos.
Here are the sandwiches for when ...
1. Everything just feels a little gray: Colorful and crunchy banh mi
Veggie banh mi with avocado, shredded carrots, cucumber, red pepper and peanuts. Get the recipe here.
2. You're overwhelmed and need to simplify: Easy-peasy avocado toast
Simple and delicious: avocado with lime and chili flakes on gluten-free toast with sliced tomato on top. Don't forget a sprinkle of salt and pepper!
3. Co-workers are crazy and you need a self-induced food coma: Decadent grilled cheese
This brie, fig and apple grilled cheese looks melt-licious, but it might put you in a cheesy coma. Get the recipe here.
4. You spilled coffee on your shirt and just need something classy: Mini veggie delight
These are mini veggie sandwiches with pesto, baby spinach, roasted red peppers, sweet potatoes, mozzarella, greens and Greek yogurt on pretzel bread, pressed until they're warm and grilled.
5. Everything's changing and you crave something old-school: This hefty bean burger
No grill necessary! Black bean burger with avocado and lime coleslaw. Get the recipe here.
6. Your first food coma wasn't strong enough: Vegan "cheesesteak"
Vegan Philly "cheesesteak," made with two different types of sautéed mushrooms along with classic onions and peppers. Make it yourself here.
7. The internet's too slow and you're fed up: Crunch it out cabbage sandwich
Put a bow on it! Hummus, eggplant, cabbage, cucumbers and greens on whole wheat bread.
8. It's cold and snowy and awful outside: Colorful summer wraps
That's a wrap! These babies are stuffed with sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and guacamole.
9. You're rushing to meet a deadline: Quick New York classic with a twist
You can't go wrong with a bagel! This one has vegan cream cheese, spinach, red onion, capers and tomato.
10. You're nostalgic for when your parents packed your lunch: Creative PB&G;
A little more sophisticated than when you ate in in grade school. How about some toasted nut bread, almond butter and halved grapes instead of jelly?
11. It's been a long week and your mouth needs a vacation: Root veggie wrap
Check out those colors! This wrap has purple yams, red peppers, chickpeas and sprouts. Get the recipe here.
12. You nailed the presentation and deserve a reward: Melty goodness
Creamy grilled cheese with mushrooms and gruyere. You can add some truffle oil if you're feeling fancy.
13. You'd rather be in Tuscany instead of behind a desk: Classic caprese
Italian-inspired Caprese sandwich with tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella. Sprinkle a little balsamic for extra flavor.
14. You've still got a lot of work to do and need to power through: Layered lunch
This sammy is stacked with avocado, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, red cabbage, carrots and cukes.
15. You've been falling asleep at your desk: Pita pick-me-up
Crispy falafel with hummus, tahini, fresh parsley, cucumber and tomato.
16. You're famished: Jenga tower
These are halloumi, spinach and hummus sandwiches on toasted brioche buns. Stack them on top of each other for Jenga sandwich excitement. Make them yourself here.
17. You're so over it and don't even care if you have bad breath: Garlic tofu delight
Soy-garlic tofu sandwich with sriracha mayo, carrots, cucumbers and cilantro.
18. It's Friday and you earned something fried and crispy: Seitan burger
Fried seitan with pickles, vegan cheese spread, lettuce and tomato.
19. The office heater is blasting and you need to cool off: Mediterranean sandwich
Parsley pesto, hummus, olives, carrots and cucumbers. Make the whole Greek-inspired picnic lunch here.
20. You're quitting: Dessert sandwich!
This is coffee ice cream between two donuts. Dipped in chocolate.