Marks called the store after not hearing from the groomers for hours, and only then was she told to head to a local animal hospital, where Colby was pronounced dead from heatstroke. The Petco assistant manager informed Marks that a groomer had accidentally left Colby in one of the drying cages upon leaving for another engagement.
A veterinarian told Marks that over an hour after Colby's death, his internal temperature was still over 105 degrees, WTVR reported. This tragic death could have been avoided, and is a reminder to always practice safe grooming with your pet.
Marks posted on Facebook about Colby's tragic death on Friday, saying, "I will love you forever and always. My sweet sweet Colby Jack RIP." Colby was young and healthy, and should have enjoyed a much longer life.