The Most Popular Dog Names Of 2015
Naming a pet is a big responsibility, and inspiration can come from anywhere - from your favorite television show to the list of names reserved for your future children. No matter what you pick, your pet's stuck with it, so make it good!
Rover.com revealed the nation's top dog names for 2015 - and the naming strategies behind them. So, did your dog's name make the list?
Interesting to note that the biggest trend in dog names this past year was giving your dog a more humanlike name, which 49 percent of people did - probably because most of us absolutely consider our pets our babies.
Some other fun trends in dog names this year:
- The most popular pop-culture-inspired names were from "The Hunger Games," "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars" (in that order). "The Walking Dead," "Twilight" and "Game of Thrones" all saw a decrease this year. (I totally used to have a cat named Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen Mother of Dragons.)
- The top three food names were Ginger, Pepper and Peanut.
- 94 percent of dog parents say they absolutely consider their dogs to be members of the family. I mean ... duh?
- Marijuana-inspired names are up 2 percent this year.
- The name Chewbacca (or Chewie for short) is up 10 percent this year, proving that the force will always live on.
- By year's end, pet owners will have spent a combined $60.59 billion on their pets - meaning, of course, that we will always love our pets more than anything else in the world.