4 min read

The Rock Says Goodbye To His Puppy With The Sweetest Words

For Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, his family and anyone who followed the love that this man had for his dog Brutus, today is a sad day.

On Tuesday, The Rock announced on Instagram that after eating a poisonous mushroom, young Brutus had died.

The Rock's family just adopted Brutus earlier this month. He is survived by his brother, Hobbs.

Taking an opportunity to find light in a darkness of mourning, The Rock wrote a touching caption, memorializing his lost family member and calling the tragic event "another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed."

He continues:

At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace.

As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.

I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members.

Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute.

Below are a few posts of Brutus and The Rock.

When The Rock saved little Brutus from drowning.

When Brutus caught a cold after the pool incident.

And more recently, when Brutus simply didn't want to move.

Personally, from one dog lover to another, my heart goes out to any person experiencing such a loss. To anyone who is, I hope you find joy in remembering all the times you shared together.