Second, speak up. Share what you know, spread the word, make some noise and your voice will be heard. The movie Blackfish is one example of this: portraying the story of Tilikum, an orca who killed three people over the course of his life, it sparked outrage and shock at the state of captive orcas, particularly in SeaWorld. It even inspired an online petition with over 1 million backers and celebrity support. Though SeaWorld claims the movie is "inaccurate and misleading," they have repeatedly decline to take part in its production. A new legislative bill in California making it illegal to use orcas for entertainment and performance purposes has gained momentum, also in response to the movie. There are many ways for you to help you can sign petitions online (see a list below), or you can donate and support orca research trusts and ethical labs, like the Orca research trust, the Orca lab by Dr Paul Spong, Whale Research, or Whale and Dolphin Conservation.
List of petitions you can sign:
- "Save Narnia, the captured Orca, and her companions who were stolen from the ocean!!" here.
- "Russia, stop wild orca captures!" here. "SeaWorld: end captive orca breeding program" here.
- "Lolita the orca needs us again" here.
- "Enact the Orca Welfare and Safety Act to make it illegal to hold orcas in captivity for performance or entertainment purposes." in California, here.
- "Please Release SeaWorld's Animals to Sanctuaries" here.
And many more over the internet!
Marion Thibaudeau is an Online Journalism Intern at Frontier, an international non-profit volunteering NGO. Frontier has over 300 dedicated conservation and community development projects as well as plenty of inspiring gap year ideas to help make your time out meaningful. For more information on all the opportunities available please visit www.frontier.ac.uk. Check out Frontier's blog ‘Into the Wild' where you can read more articles like this! Happy reading! Get more from us on social media with Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. See more from volunteers on YouTube, Flickr and Instagram #FrontierVolunteer.