<p><a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/am1974/8486087257/in/photolist-dVTq6g-5HpfAM-4ZjZxF-wEk5H-8kt6Si-8FKSJi-dUL8o6-Dkgtd-JPXpk-8XYjEG-3Kyywo-56bzBC-8FP6ts-a5Cs5S-dVZ1dA-8y2Ndb-vTWF8-6tUHT2-hf7Uvo-eWT7Wi-eWT4hi-9vU15Y-hqV3aP-ewUHrW-8VM6oD-4xir6d-eWLEdX-5WKeBT-8FP4G1-8WKCRd-eWSZbB-eWSuFz-8Z8xFY-4P5NcY-b9zSsD-9xfnbk-oWnTJq-9MaBez-9rDxeP-9p8cac-8gXfiB-jE3nzm-ytyDQ-4P1xeM-eWSCiH-b9zPtB-77TEuU-5h7UvP-5fdLeK-eWREFP">Flickr/Artur Malinowski</a></p>
When most people think of rats, they think of sewers and subways. What they don't realize is that rats can make wonderful pets. They're extremely affectionate, quick learners and, above all, smart.
Here are 20 reasons why you've been underestimating rat intelligence.
1. They can play fetch like a dog.
2. And are great at agility.
3. And can even play basketball.
4. You can teach them to walk like people.
5. If it's your birthday, they'll decorate.
6. And if you're sad, you can ask them for a tissue.
7. This rat is smarter than your cat.
Don't forget to lock kitty out!
8. A rat will help you find a number in the yellow pages - as long as it's not for the exterminator.
9. You can teach them to paint.
10. And how to help you pickpocket.
11. You'll feel like Cinderella when they help you get dressed in the morning.
12. And undressed at night.
13. They'll even do your laundry for you.
14. They can learn to dance in circles.
15. And are quite patriotic.
16. They come when you call ...
17. ... whether they're on a chair ...
19. But at the end of the day, they know when playtime is over.
20. Most important, they'll love you right back.