A dog who was rescued by his owner has now rescued his owner in return. Max, a 90-pound German Shepherd, saved his elderly owner, Jack Farrell, after he sensed a carbon monoxide leak in the man's Bay Area home and led them both to safety. Farrell was asleep when a wall heater in his home malfunctioned and caused the dangerous leak. He says that if his dog had not woken him up and dragged him by his arm out of the house, he would have died.
"Out here in the kitchen, I finally woke up wondering what the hell was going on because he had hold of my arm," Farrell told a local CBS affiliate. "That's when I called 911."
When a rescue team arrived, they found that the carbon monoxide in Farrell's home had reached three times the level at which first responders usually don emergency gear. According to one of the firefighters on the scene, Farrell could very easily have died without his dog's help. The man was hospitalized briefly following the incident, but both he and Max are reportedly doing fine.