The baby was alone - no other lambs or sheep or even farmhouses were around. The man and woman had no idea how the lamb ended up on the road.
When they scooped her up, they were shocked to find that Elma was still covered in wet amniotic fluid, and her umbilical cord was still attached. This lamb was only hours old.
They rushed Elma to a veterinarian, who tried to help by giving her formula. Despite the vet's best efforts, Elma's health deteriorated - she contracted a bad case of scours, which is a nasty infection that causes diarrhea and often results in death.