When the McLarty family adopted a young puppy from their local animal rescue center, they had no idea that just two week later he would go on to save their lives. The family had been fast asleep when their new dog Hunter began to whimper and cry uncontrollably. Assuming he needed to go to the bathroom, owner Jill took the puppy outside, but he continued to act upset.
Jill then took Hunter into bed with her and tried to sooth him, though the puppy was inconsolable -- and the family soon learned why.
"He took off into the kitchen, so I followed him and I turned on the kitchen light and he was sitting next to the stove, just crying," Jill says. "So I glanced at it and that's when I noticed the burner on."
What the McLartys hadn't realized was that, as they slept, their home was slowly filling with gas -- and if it weren't for Hunter's insistence, they may not have noticed before it was too late.