4 min read

Itty Bitty Baby Fox Is Freed After Getting Head Stuck In Can

A little fox cub found himself in quite the predicament when he took a liking to a discarded can of food. The cub poked his head in the can to lick up the remaining food - but once his head was in he couldn't pull it back out.

Wildlife Aid Foundation in Surrey, England was called to the backyard in question, where the homeowner had apprehended the little fox under her laundry basket.

(YouTube: Wildlife Aid)

Founder of WAF, Simon Cowell, remarked when he saw the cub that "This is a classic example of why (you should) always squash cans, look at that." Cowell proceeded to gingerly remove the cub's fluffy head from the narrow can.

(YouTube: Wildlife Aid)

The cub seemed a bit shocked by the goings on, and was likely a bit frightened - Cowell remarked that the little creature had "wee'd" on his trousers when he was freed from the can.

(YouTube: Wildlife Aid)

The homeowner told Simon that the rest of the fox cub's family lived under the backyard shed, as she had often seen them coming out to play. The little fox was released by the shed and scampered back underneath to rejoin his mom and siblings.

(YouTube: Wildlife Aid)

WAF wrote on their YouTube video:

This chap was lucky. So many birds and mammals are not so lucky, being injured, or even killed, by carelessly discarded items. Tin cans, plastic ring holders for cans, rubber bands; these can all cause serious harm. We have seen too many incidents involving litter, and each time it was completely avoidable if some care had been taken to dispose of the litter responsibly.

The RSPCA states that foxes are one of Britain's most popular animals and "are not dependent on food from dustbins, although if rubbish is not properly contained they will take anything edible." Since this can cause problems (as it did for the little fox above), always make sure to crush your cans when you toss them out!

You can watch the full rescue below:

(YouTube: Wildlife Aid)