O.W.L. veterinarian Dina Lee told The Dodo that the bald eagle, probably around three years old, does not appear to have any injuries to his wings that would prevent him from flying, calling the fact that he was found stranded at sea "odd."
Lee says that accidental poisoning is a likely factor, noting that birds can fall ill after ingesting animals that may have come in contact with rodenticide used by farmers to keep pests at bay.
"When the fisherman fish him out onto the boat, there wasn't any fishing line tangled around him, and when he came in, there wasn't any clear break. But he wasn't eating food very well, so we're suspecting there might be something in him, so we're taking x-rays to see," says Lee. "We'll do everything that we can."
Watch the entire bald eagle rescue below: