Margo was taken to an animal shelter and her owners were notified. When they arrived, they were heartbroken that they had put their dog in danger.
"They were horrified and dismayed to realize the mistake that they had made," Harvey told The Dodo. "They thought it was early enough and cool enough that the dog would be OK."
Margo's owners weren't fined. The situation could have been much more dire, but Margo is healthy and happy thanks to the Sacramento Fire Department - and hopefully, her remorseful owners have learned their lesson.