5 min read

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Your Pot Brownie

Dogs love food, and when they smell something delicious in the air, many will do anything it takes to wrap their mouths around the snack - even if the contents include a little something extra.

Take this little Chihuahua, for example. He recently broke into his stoner owner's stash and downed a hearty chunk of a human-sized serving of pot brownies, according to this Snapchat story.

For dogs like this two-pound Chihuahua, digesting an edible can be more worrisome than pleasant. It's also potentially toxic, coma-inducing and even sometimes deadly (not to mention the dangers of chocolate).

Like humans, some dogs are prescribed marijuana to relieve pain or nausea, but that's often overshadowed by the many YouTube videos of people purposefully getting their dogs high to entertain themselves.

"Marijuana toxicity is no laughing matter and if people note their dogs have gotten into it they should seek veterinary care immediately," Dr. Robert Proietto, a veterinarian in New York City, told The Dodo in an interview last year. "It is also important to tell the veterinarian the truth. No veterinarian is going to judge their client for being honest and we will never contact the police. We just want to know what is going on so we can treat the pet to the best of our ability."

That's not to say that you should lock your dog in the other room while partaking in 420 festivities. If going green means taking your dog on more walks through nature or sharing prolonged eye contact while listening to your vinyl of Magical Mystery Tour, it could be a bonding experience for the both of you.

Go with the flow, man.

Lily "The Fool On The Hill" Kelleher | Solon Kelleher

To prevent your dog from having a marijuana-related incident, make sure to keep your goods (edibles included) in a safe place outside of your curious dog's reach, as you would with any potentially toxic substance.

Everybody processes drugs differently - including dogs - and when it comes to getting high, they're best left sober. While that news may disappoint some dog owners, the dogs don't need to pass around the joint to feel at peace with the world. For them, just spending time with you and a belly rub is enough, and watching your high-self trying to recall how many fingers you have - that's just a bonus.

If you think your dog has overdosed on marijuana, take him or her to the veterinarian immediately to make sure the dosage wasn't fatal. Although the symptoms will most likely disappear within a matter of days, they may feel more at ease under a professional's care.

There's no need to get your pets high. They're high enough on life already.