Literally Everything You Need To Know About Puppies
From potty training, to introducing her to your cat ❤️
Puppies are just the cutest little things!
But whether you’re a seasoned puppy parent, or are considering adopting a little guy for the very first time, you’re probably going to have a few questions.
So The Dodo’s rounded up everything you need to know about puppies.
The first thing you should know about puppies is how to actually adopt one. There are a lot of things to consider, like where to go and what to look for:
- Can You Find A Puppy At A Rescue?: When you’re trying to adopt a puppy, the first step is figuring out where to find them! You also want to be confident that the place you’re adopting from is reputable.
- How To Find The Right Puppy For Me: Trying to figure out which puppy is right for you is definitely a bit tough, but here’s what to expect (and not expect).
- What’s Kennel Cough?: Kennel cough might sound scary, but the best way to make sure your puppy stays happy and healthy is by knowing what symptoms to look for, and how to treat it.
Taking Care Of Growing Puppies
Once you’ve brought your puppy home, it’s important to know the best ways to actually take care of him. With the right food, grooming habits and lots of love, you can make sure he grows up to be big (well, relatively speaking) and strong.
- What You Should Feed Your Puppy, According To A Vet: Picking the right food for your puppy is a super important decision, especially with so many different brands on the market. So getting a vet’s seal of approval is a pretty big deal.
- When Do Puppies Stop Growing?: This is a big question on every pet parent’s mind when welcoming a teeny tiny puppy into your home. A vet explains the best way to guesstimate.
- How To Get Rid Of Fleas On Puppies: Here’s why it's so important to treat your puppy's fleas, and how to do it properly. Plus, a vet recommends some great products.
It’s super important to start training your puppy while he’s still young. And there are so many different kinds of training, like crate training, potty training and more. If you tackle them all, you’ll have the best behaved puppy around!
- How To Potty Train A Puppy: Here’s a step-by-step guide to get your puppy used to going to the bathroom outside, instead of doing his business in the middle of your living room.
- How To Crate Train A Puppy: Crate training is definitely a must-do, since it helps with potty training your puppy, keeps him — and your stuff — safe when you’re not home and gives him a place to call his own.
- Training Your Puppy To Stop Biting: Biting and nipping is a big part of puppy playtime. But he won’t know that using his teeth is actually painful unless you teach him.
- How To Stop A Puppy From Whining: Find out why your puppy is whining, and what you can do to get him to stop.
- How To Get A Puppy To Sleep Through The Night: A trainer explains how your puppy — and you — can get a full night’s sleep.
That teething phase is just as painful for your puppy as it is for you (and your shoes). You can help your pup through this tough time if you know how teething works, and what toys are best for those sore gums.
- What You Need To Know About Puppy Teething: Knowing the signs and symptoms of teething will help you figure out when your puppy is starting the process. It’s also key to know which toys help and which toys just make things worse.
- Best Puppy Teething Toys: Here’s a roundup of some of the best teething toys you could get your puppy, and why they’ll be great for his tender little gums.
Introducing A New Puppy
If you aren’t living alone when you decide to bring your new puppy home, you’re going to want to make sure that he gets along — or at least feels comfortable — with any kids or pets you might have. That way, you’ll know you’re giving your puppy the happiest home.
- Introducing A New Puppy To An Older Dog: It can be tricky getting your puppy used to his new home while making sure your resident dog doesn’t feel too overwhelmed by the change, so here are some dos, don’ts and things to watch out for.
- Introducing A New Puppy To A Cat: You obviously want your cat and your new puppy to get along, so here’s what you can do to make that happen.
- Introducing Puppies And Kids: There’s nothing more important than making sure your puppy and your kids get along. Since you want your puppy to feel comfortable and safe at home, here’s what your kids should and shouldn’t do when meeting their tiny BFF.
Everything You Need To Adopt A Puppy
Everything You Need To Adopt A Puppy
We independently pick all the products we recommend because we love them and think you will too. If you buy a product from a link on our site, we may earn a commission.