After a series of routine tests and a sonogram, the puppy’s blood work revealed a terrible secret — he had been poisoned.
“Blood tests confirmed that he had severe rodenticide toxicity. The poison in his blood was over 400 percent,” Ricke added. “It's one of the most horrible things I have ever seen in rescue.”
The puppy immediately received a blood and plasma transfusion to improve his chances of survival, but things looked grim for the young dog. “When I left him at the vet, I didn't think I'd see him alive again. He was weak, frail, could barely stand and was just so, so sick,” Ricke said.