“The moment we picked him up, the fleas just covered my shirt,” McKnight said.
When McKnight and her rescue team went into the RV home itself, they got another shock — there was another dog in there, but she was already dead. McKnight believes the fleas — and lack of food — had killed her.
“The house was so flea-infested that we actually had to leave the site and go over to the corner store and buy carpet spray for fleas and soak ourselves in it, because we couldn’t get the fleas off of us,” McKnight said. “I’m sure she just became so anemic [from the fleas], and no dog can overcome anemia in those conditions. There was no food or water in the house either.”