At around 2 a.m., Brian Lepert took Roscoe outside for a quick walk, and when they returned, Roscoe continued to sit by the door whining. “Brian was going to go back to bed, but he saw Roscoe still sitting there. He sniffed the air, and thought, ‘Something’s not right,’” Kim Lepert said.
Brian Lepert immediately opened the adjacent basement door, and found flames jumping up from a table — the result of a space heater left plugged into an extension cord, but not turned on. Thanks to Roscoe’s keen nose and persistence, the fire was not yet out of control, and the Leperts were able to put it out before any major damage could be done.