7 min read

Man Learns The Shocking Reason Why His Dog Won't Stop Pacing In A Circle

"He couldn’t focus. His head was spinning. He didn’t respond to anything I was saying."

This is Kolento, a sweet-natured cocker spaniel who loves nothing more than experiencing all the sights, smells and tastes the outdoors has to offer.

But recently, while on a walk around town with his owner Dion Lambrecht Finne, the dog's curiosity came with a very steep price.

Last week, Finne and Kolento were out on their regular morning stroll through a park near their home in Denmark when the pup discovered something lying on the ground and decided to give it a taste. Finne didn't realize it at the time, because whether on-leash or off, Kolento is a quick nibbler.

"He’s very fast at eating stuff," Finne told The Dodo. "That’s just kind of what he does."

But little did Finne know, on this day his dog's penchant for eating random things was about to cause him some serious trouble.

Afterward, back at the house, Kolento was perfectly fine and as happy as he always is after a walk. Finne then headed off work — but upon returning home a few hours later, something was clearly wrong with the dog.

"He was walking in a circle," Finne said. "He couldn’t focus. His head was spinning. He didn’t respond to anything I was saying. Normally, he welcomes me when I come home, but he didn’t do that."

As the strange behavior persisted, Finne got more and more worried about Kolento.

"I was very scared and panicked," he recalled. "I was looking at him saying, ‘Please come back. Please come back.’"

Finne then rushed the dog to an emergency vet, capturing this video of Kolento's endless circling after they arrived.

It was then that Finne received an initial diagnosis — the vet suspected Kolento had suffered a stroke.

"She said it was probably something neurological, something with the brain," Finne recalled. "It was heartbreaking to hear. I thought he was gone. I thought I was going to have to say goodbye to my dog."

Kolento remained under observation at the vet for the next several hours, as a devastated Finne readied himself for the saddest news. But then:

"Then the vet called me and said she wanted to do a drug test on the dog. She asked if there was any chance if he ate some cannabis. I answered, 'No, definitely not,'" Finne said. "Then the drug test showed that he was positive for cocaine, methamphetamine and amphetamine."

Finne's mind immediately returned to earlier that day in the park; he remembered seeing Kolento interested in something by a fence, but never suspected it could be illicit drugs.

Finne was shocked, but also relieved that the cause of his dog's problem wasn't the more dire diagnosis. 

"I thought it was at least treatable. He could get better. I was just happy that we had an explanation," Finne said. "We didn’t have to put him to sleep."

The vet gave Kolento medicine to help purge his stomach of any remaining drugs, and sent him home to recover.

"Later that night, he started drinking for the first time. He ate something too. He stopped shaking so much," Finne said. "For two or three days after, he seemed very depressed and cautious. He couldn’t fall asleep. After that, he fell into a deep slumber. When he woke up, he seemed much more relaxed."

Kolento is just about fully back to his old self again now, and fortunately, blood tests show he suffered no permanent organ damage from the drugs he ingested. For Finne, however, the ordeal has been a real eye-opener — and he hopes other dog owners take note.

"I don’t expect drugs to be everywhere. I could never have imagined that something like this would happen, but now we’ve proven that it can happen," he said. "So people should definitely be aware of it."

The police later searched the park for more drugs and found none, but Finne said he will still be more cautious when taking Kolento there, knowing the potential dangers.

"I don’t know why anyone would throw drugs like that on the ground, but apparently it happens," he said.