Long considered an Easter staple, these adorable cacao creatures can cause your dog some serious discomfort — or worse.
“The toxic part of chocolate for dogs is something called theobromine, which is a caffeine-like substance,” Gicking tells The Dodo. “Dogs are more sensitive to the caffeine-like effects of theobromine than humans. Chocolate toxicity will cause a higher heart rate [and irregular heartbeat]; it will cause them to be sick to their stomach and they can have seizures.”
Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine as quickly as humans, so even a tiny piece of chocolate can have lasting effects. In small quantities, your pup may experience stomach upset, vomiting, hyperactivity and jitters, as if they’ve had a bit too much coffee in the morning.