Dolce's intuition was spot on - the donkey, now named Chloe, was dehydrated, malnourished and very, very ill. But the most worrying issue was a large wound on the side of Chloe's neck. It looked as if an adult donkey had stepped on her, which created huge, open wound that had become badly infected.
Annie Brown, a volunteer with AERO, picked up Chloe in her SUV, and rushed her to an emergency vet. There the vet team started to rehydrate her, but Chloe's tiny, 6-day-old body went into shock, and they had to work hard to save her life.
Dolce, Brown and the other AERO volunteers anxiously waited for news.
"We just weren't sure," Dolce said. "But she was actually responding to treatment beautifully."
A few days later, Chloe was well enough to leave the vet and go to the rescue center.