The ban aimed to help save animals, including the iconic American bald eagle, from dying slow deaths from lead. Zinke argued that the interests of hunters were not sufficiently represented in the ban.
Sadly, the latest bald eagle who came into the center never had a chance to fly freely again. After four days of treatments to clean the lead out of his bloodstream, the bird's body finally succumbed to the poison that had already reached his tissue. "This particular bird, every once in a while, he'd get startled and flap his wing out of fear, and then he'd stop," Tompkins remembered. "The treatment cannot reach the lead that's already gotten into other tissues."