In 2006, Samantha Green was vacationing in Sri Lanka when she came across a young street dog that seemed minutes away from death. Lying lifeless on the chalky grounds of a village temple, the puppy was riddled with mange and mites and was severely emaciated. Samantha, a UK citizen working in the transport industry at the time, was taken aback by the sight of this creature, who was barely recognizable atop the torrid dirt piles.
Unable to walk away from this wounded pup, Samantha quickly got to work, contacting vets and animal experts, and paying for the puppy to receive the medical attention it needed.
But the problem was far worse than Samantha ever could have imagined. At every street crossing, every corner, and outside every shopfront was a roaming street dog. Most often, they were riddled with mange, a parasitic skin disease, and starved beyond belief. Thousands upon thousands of dogs were in urgent need of medical attention, scattered across the worn streets of Sri Lanka, and nobody was helping them.